Wednesday 14 January 2009

Geoff Burch meets Nick R Thomas

At Communicate With Clarity, well known broadcaster and public-speaker, Nick R Thomas, caught up with Geoff Burch. He had this to say on his excellent public-speaking blog last week:



About a decade ago, I bought a book entitled Go It Alone: The Streetwise Secrets of Self Employment by Geoff Burch. I could see immediately that it was unlike other business guides in its humorous, no-nonsense approach.

Some years later, it helped me out of a difficult situation when I was asked to deliver a speech at a civic function - but not in my home town. I had a few anecdotes but not enough for me to feel that I had a rounded speech. I was actually on my way to the venue when it occurred to me that the town had the word 'time' in its tourism slogan and I remembered a great metaphor concerning time which was quoted by Geoff Burch in that book. I linked the two together in my speech (quoting the source, of course) and the whole thing worked much better. It wasn't the best I've ever given but an audience member came up to me afterwards and said how well it dovetailed together so thank you, Geoff!

During the autumn of 2008, Geoff Burch presented an eight-part BBC2 series, All Over The Shop, in which he visited failing small retailers and suggested ways for them to turn their businesses around. Most were sensible enough to follow his advice (although, for some reason, those in the West Country seemed to be the most resistant!) I really enjoyed the programmes.

So when I learned that this business guru and author was to be the guest speaker at the Communicate with Clarity seminar run by Jeremy Jacobs at Barnet Football Club on 2 December, that was one more reason to jump at the chance to attend!



You can read the rest of Nick's post here

No comments: